Caisteal Chamuis changes hands for the last time
Built on the site of an Iron Age fort, Caisteal Chamuis, also known as Knock or Cnoc Castle, changed hands in battle many times over the centuries, the last documented owner being Clan MacDonald in 1632.
Watercolour reconstruction of Caisteal Camuis by David L Roberts © Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre, High Life Highland.
The farmhouse at Torabhaig is built
Earliest records dating back to 1763 list Knock House as inhabited and mention a working farm at Torabhaig.
The Steading is Built Using Stone From The Castle
Long held as a rumour, after analysing the stone of the steading walls and the ruins of Caisteal Chamuis we were able to ascertain that the steading buildings were in fact built with stone taken from the by then derelict castle.
Planning permission is granted
After many years of planning, the permits to build a distillery at Torabhaig are issued in 2002.
Mossburn’s Renovation Project Begins
Ground is broken, and the renovation and build are underway. At this point we were expecting the project to take 2 years…
Stills & Washbacks are installed and commisioned
The traditional twin copper pot stills and douglas fir washbacks were designed especially for our building and custom built by the venerable Forsyths of Rothes.
The moment of truth – distilling at Torabhaig begins.